Hand Trucks - A Delivery Person's Best Friend
Delivering heavy and fragile items can be quite tricky. If you are in the business of selling or leasing big machineries, equipments, furniture etc. or if you are in the ‘movers and packers’ business, then a hand truck has to be your best friend. Hand truck is a two-wheeler trolley with a horizontal platform. It has been used to move heavy objects from one place to another easily.
Number of benefits:
- Lower risk of injury: Lifting heavy objects can be quite straining for back and shoulder muscles. In addition, walking with a big heavy box in hand can also obstruct vision and cause the people to fall and hurt themselves. A hand truck rolls on wheels and has a lower suspension. Thus, the delivery person can easily roll it down and clearly see where they are going.
- Less risk of damage: Manual lifting always has the risk of goods getting damaged. Especially, when more than one person lifts something, even a slight problem in coordination in the group can cause damage the goods due to falling, bumping or miss-handling. But with it you eliminate all these risks and reduces the cost incurred on damaged goods by the company.
- Faster delivery:The delivery person doesn’t have to waddle his way through narrow pavements and driveways. He can deliver the goods much faster and in a safer manner.
- Cost effective: It saves money in more ways than one. First of all, they save goods from being damaged during delivery. So, they reduce company’s loss due to damage. Second, since hand truck allows just one person to deliver heavy objects, there is no need to send more people on delivery; so, the company can save money on manpower. Third, since it reduces incidents of injuries among delivery persons, the medical expenses to the company goes down.
They are used to move load short distances and have simple mechanic system that allows easier maneuverability. It is like a cart with a platform at bottom where goods are stacked.
Things to remember while using it:
- Should be in best condition. Even though it don’t need much maintenance, but regular use may wear out the tires or loosen some screws. This may create problems during freight delivery and may even cause a mishap. So, check the hand truck regularly.
- The goods or cargo to be carried on it should be stacked properly. The biggest and heaviest boxes should be at the bottom and lighter ones on the top. All the cargo should be packed and taped properly.
- The handle should be lifted in a way that it comes up to your waist and the cargo rests against the back of its cart.
- It can be rolled both backwards and forward. So, chose a movement that ensures safest movement for you and the cargo. Backward movement, in which you will be stepping backwards, is a safer mode, as you will be able to maneuver it more easily. Forward movement on the other hand will help you see your path better.
There are 2 types of hand trucks available out there:
- Heavy Duty: This is made of strong metal. They are used to move heavy objects.
- Convertible: This is also used to move heavy objects, but much slimmer. These types are be converted into platform at any time. They can also be folded and stored in a small space
How to Choose the Right One?
There are a number of factors to be considered while choosing:
- Space: Heavy-duty hand trucks are bigger and need a wide space to move, while convertible it take much less space. They also need a large storage area. Therefore, if you think that you don’t have much space and will be maneuvering it through narrow spaces, a folding one will be a better choice.
- Weight to be moved: They are made from solid materials and can endure heavy loads. Their exact capacity varies according to their size and type. Convertible ones can also endure heavy weight, but it is generally lesser than heavy-duty.
- Usage: Convertible ones can be used in areas that are narrower and crowded. It is a better choice when one has to deliver goods to a busy shop or a house with narrow hallways. They are more suitable to transport heavy equipment to commercial spaces like auditoriums, halls, commercial buildings, warehouses etc.